Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chapter P: Applying Linear Equations in Two Variables

Chapter P focuses on linear equations, (in)equalities, graphs, and scientific notation. But in my case, I did my project on using scientific notation by studying the distance, time, and rate. or in other words, the speed of light of my star, Alpha Centauri.The first thing that I did to get my answers numerically is by looking up distance of my star. Then I had to convert it from light years to miles so I would be able to simplify from seconds/miles and I got 2.46896992 x 10^13 miles which equals the same as 24, 689, 699,200,000. Next, I would use the linear equation, d= r x t (distance= rate x time) and I know the rate is 186,000 miles per second. And finally, I would put my distances into the right variable in the equation and solved to find the approximation of an origin to my star.






No comments:

Post a Comment