Thursday, September 30, 2010

CH. P - How to Do Graphing Functions




1.) Describe what you did using mathematical vocabulary. The following words must be used correctly, and highlighted or boldfaced in your description.

- First off, I sketched the basic function which was y=x^2 also known as the parent graph (colored in black.) Then, I sketched a vertical translation where I moved up 5 on the y-axis (colored in red) and the equation came out to be y=x^2+6. After that, I sketched a horizontal translation where I moved 4 to the right on the x-axis (colored in blue) and the equation came out to be y=(x-4)^2. Then, I sketched a vertical and horizontal translation where I moved up 6 and 4 to the right (colored in green) and the equation came out to be y=(x-4)^2+6. Finally, I sketched a vertical reflection across the x-axis and the equation came out to me y=-x^2. Overall, I made 5 new transformations.

2.) Scan your graphed functions and include the the picture in your blog.

3.) Back to School Night Extra Credit - Scan your Parent's classwork into your blog. Write a few sentences about what you and your parents thought about learning transformations.

- Well, first off, my mom thought that this project was somewhat hard. LOL. I don't know why but she had trouble figuring out what to do so I had to explain everything very explicitly and descriptive to her. She started to get the whole idea of graphing the functions and putting them into equations. My mom's favorite subject is math so even though it was a challenge at first, she kind of enjoyed it because now she knows how to sketch the graphs and write the equations that goes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment