Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ch. P - Graphing Function

  1. For this graph, I used the original function of y=√x (square root of x) which is shown in black marker with the original function boxed in the first quadrant.
  2. Next, I translated the function (y=√x) 3 units down along the y-axis to create a vertical translation of y=√x-3. The translation is shown in red marker in the fourth quadrant.
  3. Then to create a horizontal translation, I moved the function 4 units to the right along the x-axis to create y=√(x-4). The translation is shown in blue marker in the first quadrant.
  4. And to combine both vertical and horizontal translation, I transformed the original function into y=√(x+6)+3 where the graph moved 6 units to the left of the x-axis then 3 units up the y-axis. The translation is shown in green marker in the second quadrant.
  5. Then I did a reflection where I reflected the original function across the x-axis to create y= -√x which is shown in purple marker in the fourth quadrant.
  6. Lastly, I created a transformation by combining the vertical and horizontal translation and the reflection across the x-axis to move the original function reflected across the x-axis, translated 8 units to the left and 2 units down to make y= -√(x+8)-2. The transformation is shown in black marker in the third quadrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment